Friday, February 17, 2017

"Phobia's" and "ism's" and Labels...Oh, my!

     
You call it racism, I call it a game that we're all  getting really sick and tired of.
You say our irrational fears have been played on and call it Islamophobia, I call it Boston, London,San     Bernardino,Paris, Orlando, Belgium, Chattanooga, Istanbul, Ohio State, Ft. Sam (to name a few).
You call it xenophobia, I call it respecting the law.
You call it sexism, I call it...never mind, I just laugh.
You call it homophobia, wait...what?  Do you mean Rainbowphobia or unicornphobia? Im                 confused.... what am I afraid of again?

      
       Racism implies hatred of an entire race of people simply because of their ethnicity and is completely wrong and childish! It is not racist to disagree with someone or to state "white girls and their coffee" or "Mexicans love tortillas".  In fact, everyone has made statements or thought something about a particular race that was a generalization,stereotype, or mere fact. Right or wrong,  that does not make you a hateful, spiteful person or a racist. It's a game, and quite frankly...it's a joke.  And let me tell you, I would be the first to speak out against anyone/anything racist! 

       You say immigrants are being deported, well, I suppose we should all start packing our bags! And where did you say your family was from again?  There gonna have a hell of a time trying to figure out whether to send me to Germany, Scotland, Japan, or Ireland,etc but hey, I'm also Native American so I guess that's one thing I have going for me! I for one am not against immigration or anyone who comes here legally! However, I'm also not afraid to use the term "illegal" although apparently even that's not politically correct now!  

        As for "sexism" and "homophobia", I'm a woman and I also know/have friends who are gay. I also didn't walk the streets in a display that actually embarrassed and degraded my sex and I support traditional roles and institutions  You will never find me a pro-gay rally but you won't find me at an anti-gay rally either! Just because I do not agree does not mean I push my own moral code down your throat. I am able to see both sides of an argument and treat everyone with the respect they deserve as human beings. Try putting the "sorting hat"on my head and it will prove problematic.  Because I can be pro equality but not a feminist, I can hate terrorism but not Muslims, and I can be for immigration and welcome diversity while supporting a temporary 90 day travel ban (which doesn't include the other 43 Muslim majority countries, but I digress), and I can be pro-life and pro-traditional marriage and still love people! 
     
          You see, slapping a "phobia" or "ism" doesn't change the reality that there will never be a grand "utopia" due to human nature.  Sunshine, love, and rainbows, may sound good and all but as long as there are humans on this earth there will be humans messing it up. We will always have to deal with real "phobias" and real "isms".  However, just slapping the title on anyone who disagrees with you doesn't count and simply takes away from the real displays of hate and injustice.    



No comments:

Post a Comment